RobinB21

Dependents

I moved my 10 and 7 yr old nephew's in with me to raise them myself. I started to claim them on my 2020 taxes. Why was I not qualified for the child tax credit???

erinm0717

Dependents

Hello RobynB21!

There are a few possible reasons for this:

1) It is possible the parents of the child tried to claim them

2) I would review your tax return to make sure you answered the questions correctly. Sometimes people accidentally enter that their child's social security number is not valid for employment and that can cause you not to get the credit.  

Here is a helpful link of the child tax credit: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/child-tax-credit/L9ZIjdlZz.

Please feel free to call and have a tax expert review your child tax credit forms on your 2020 return to see if it was completed correctly!  Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely

Erin, EA

erinm0717

Dependents

Hello RobynB21!

Sincerely

Erin, EA