kenned3580

Deductions

When I start entering deductions, I somehow very quickly go over the $10K limit so the program tells me I can no longer enter deductions.  How can I check to see what my deductions are so I can see where the $10K is coming from?

Deductions

That is SALT.    There is a max 10,000 limit (5,000 MFS) of property tax and state taxes "SALT".  SALT is State And Local Tax.  Which includes property tax, any state tax paid like for last year’s return and includes any state withholding from your W2s and any 1099s you have. And any taxes in W2 box 14 and 19 like SDI or VDI. You can only deduct up to 10,000 (5,000 MFS) for SALT State and Local Taxes.

If it's giving you the Standard Deduction and  not showing you Schedule A you can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using by going to

Tax Tools on left

Tools - Topic Search (top left box)

Type in  itemized deductions, choosing.  It should highlight that in the list, click on GO

Then Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction.    (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

How to change between the Standard Deduction and Itemized Deductions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-item...

kenned3580

Deductions

Perfect, thank you.