Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

red1ken

Deduction For?

I own my car but it is required that I use it for my job. I deliver and maintain merchandise in stores for my employer. They do give me a gas allowance---but maintenance is up to me. They do not re-emburse for any other than gas. I recently had to buy tires ---since 90 percent of my driving of that car is for delivery and merchandising is any of the purchase price of the new tires deductible?  I do not own the business--just deliver for them. I cannot find a place on the turbo tax to find it that is deductable for the nearly 600 dollars worth of tires I had to buy.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Deduction For?

If your employer issues you a W-2 for your wages, the your employee business expenses are not deductible on a federal tax return due to the tax code changes in effect for tax years 2018 thru 2025.

red1ken

Deduction For?

Does that also apply for the 2100 dollars I spend for health insurance through my employers plan? And how about my union dues---any of that deductable?

Deduction For?

@red1ken wrote:

Does that also apply for the 2100 dollars I spend for health insurance through my employers plan? And how about my union dues---any of that deductable?

Union dues are no longer deductible.

If the health insurance you pay is pre-tax then those payments are not deductible.  If they are paid with after tax funds then the insurance payments would be an itemized deduction.  But since the Standard Deduction has increased most taxpayers no longer are eligible for itemized deductions.

The total of all your itemized deductions on Schedule A must be greater than the standard deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

Standard deductions for 2019

• Single - $12,200 add $1,650 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,200 add $1,300 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $24,400 add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,350 add $1,650 if age 65 or older
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies