turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fezatte

My son did a book drive for charity - He received about 500 books. He also donated about 125 of his own books. The donation receipt shows 625 books - What can I claim?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

My son did a book drive for charity - He received about 500 books. He also donated about 125 of his own books. The donation receipt shows 625 books - What can I claim?

Claim the donation for only the 125 books that were donated from your own collection. 

The reason being that the other donors were not gifting your son with the books (so that he owned them and could donate them), but they were giving the books to the charity although indirectly.  Your son was simply providing the conduit for their donation. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Claim the donation for only the 125 books that were donated from your own collection. 

The reason being that the other donors were not gifting your son with the books (so that he owned them and could donate them), but they were giving the books to the charity although indirectly.  Your son was simply providing the conduit for their donation. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies