Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Child tax credit

If you're required to file a federal return for 2020, you can use Form 1040 (U.S. Individual Income Tax Return) if any of these are true:

• You're a U.S. citizen;
  • You're a resident of the U.S. or Puerto Rico;
  • You have a Permanent Resident Card ("green card");
  • You're a nonresident alien married to a U.S. citizen/resident alien with whom you will file a joint return; or
  • You meet the substantial presence test, which means you were physically present in the U.S. for at least 31 days in 2020 and at least 183 days in 2018 through 2020 according to this formula:

2020 days + (2019 days)/3 + (2018 days)/6 >= 183

If you are a nonresident alien that does not qualify to use Form 1040, you need to use Form 1040-NR which is not supported by TurboTax.   You want to avoid having to file an amended tax return, so be sure to file the correct form.  

Although TurboTax doesn't support IRS Form 1040-NR (U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return), we have partnered with Sprintax to offer both federal and state tax preparation for international students, scholars, and nonresident foreign professionals.    Please visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info.    @chethm

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chethm
Returning Member

Child tax credit

Thank you for your response.

I did some research before going ahead with Turbotax.

I meet the below criteria as you have mentioned & present in US for whole year in 2020, So i can use the 1040.

• You meet the substantial presence test, which means you were physically present in the U.S. for at least 31 days in 2020 and at least 183 days in 2018 through 2020 according to this formula:

2020 days + (2019 days)/3 + (2018 days)/6 >= 183

Child tax credit

Then that means that you are a RESIDENT Alien with your H-visa.

chethm
Returning Member

Child tax credit

Thank you so much, you are correct.

HEWCBW
Returning Member

Child tax credit

TT is not giving me the child tax credit.  I am getting 500 each for my two kids 17 and 20 (FT student) for other dependent credit.  They appears to meet all qualifications. for the Child tax credit

It said that they did not receive the child tax credit because she was 17 or over and another disqualifying reason. our AGI  is less than150K

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Child tax credit

It sounds correct on your return. Once your child turns age 17, they are no longer qualifiers for the regular child tax credit and at that point may be qualifiers for the other dependent credit which it sounds like you received on your return.  This is a new credit for those age 17 and other that previously qualified you for no tax credit at all.

Child tax credit

Hi my son was 17 in 2020 and turned 18 this Jan. Why am i not getting the total credit for under 17 on the turbo tax processing of credit 

Child tax credit

@Fashionmaven76  - I think you answered your own question.... your child was 17 as of 12/31/20 and no longer eligible for the child tax credit. 

if you are reading that the child tax credit is being extended to 17 year olds, that won't begin until the 2021 tax year.  so you child will still not be eligible. 

Child tax credit

@Fashionmaven76   The child must be UNDER 17 (that is, age 16 or less) on 12/31/2020.

Shawn59
Returning Member

Child tax credit

I'm get social security and my son is 17 year old 

Child tax credit

@Shawn59 What is your question?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Child tax credit

@Shawn59 wrote:

I'm get social security and my son is 17 year old 

What is your question?

Shawn59
Returning Member

Child tax credit

When will people on social security be able to get there child tax payment on their card 

Child tax credit

There is a portal for non-filers to sign up for the child tax credit.   However----you say your child is 17.   Will the child turn 18 in 2021?   If he will be 18 before the year ends, you are not eligible to get the credit.

A1. For tax year 2021, the Child Tax Credit is increased from $2,000 per qualifying child to:

• $3,600 for children ages 5 and under at the end of 2021; and
  • $3,000 for children ages 6 through 17 at the end of 2021.

Note: The $500 nonrefundable Credit for Other Dependents amount has not changed. For more information about the Credit for Other Dependents, see IRS Publication 972, Child Tax Credit and Credit for Other Dependents PDF.

Non-filer Sign up

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/child-tax-credit-non-filer-sign-up-tool

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Ilerey20
Returning Member

Child tax credit

If I want to receive the full amount now how can I do it or can’t ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies