turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

child tax credit for a dependent child with ITIN (and SSN)

Hi All,

Greetings! My daughter is born in India and has an ITIN. Last couple of years I filed, I was not able to claim child tax credit since she doesn't have a SSN. However, she is now eligible to get SSN in Feb/March 2021 time frame.

1) If I file my taxes after she receives her SSN, will I be able to claim child tax credits on my 2020 tax return? Since I am going to file a tax return for 2020 and since she didn't have a SSN during that year, will that make her ineligible? 

2) Similar question pertaining to stimulus tax credit; Since she didn't have SSN, she didn't receive any stimulus money  during April 2020 or Jan 2021. Once she gets her SSN during Feb/March, is there any provision to claim any tax credits pertaining to economic stimulus?

I am not too optimistic on either of the above, but wanted to check with experts here.

thanks in advance and a happy new year!

Regards,

Sid

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Your child will definitely be eligible for the child tax credit and should be eligible for both rounds of the stimulus credit if and only if you file an on-time tax return listing her as your dependent with a Social Security number.  An on-time tax return means one that is filed before April 15, or, that is filed before October 15 if you have first obtained the automatic extension.  To get the tax credits, you need to delay filing your tax return until you have your child’s new Social Security number, even if you must miss the first deadline and get an extension. Don’t file using the ITIN, and don’t file without your child planning to amend later, but do make sure to file your extension request before April 15 if you don’t have the SSN by then.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Your child will definitely be eligible for the child tax credit and should be eligible for both rounds of the stimulus credit if and only if you file an on-time tax return listing her as your dependent with a Social Security number.  An on-time tax return means one that is filed before April 15, or, that is filed before October 15 if you have first obtained the automatic extension.  To get the tax credits, you need to delay filing your tax return until you have your child’s new Social Security number, even if you must miss the first deadline and get an extension. Don’t file using the ITIN, and don’t file without your child planning to amend later, but do make sure to file your extension request before April 15 if you don’t have the SSN by then.

on #2 - the same thing... there is a "settle up" section on the 2020 tax return for missed stimulus payments.  I assume either you or your spouse has a SS#, which is a requirement for HER to be eligible for the payment on your tax return.  This is another reason to wait and file until after you have the SS#.

do both of you have SS#? 

make sense? 

Yes, myself and my wife both have SSN. I am going to take your advice and wait for my child's SSN to arrive before I plan to file returns. 

Thanks for your inputs. Appreciate it!

Thanks a lot for your elaborate response.  I will surely take your advice to wait for SS# to arrive for my child before I file my returns. I will also explore the option of extension in case SS# doesn't arrive in time for the tax deadline.

Regards,

Sid

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies