Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Charitable Contributions programming error

I just found a flaw in the programming for the 2021 returns. I had originally entered data for itemized deductions which would were not enough to trigger use of Schedule A, and the program correctly made its calculations based on the standard deduction. So the program correctly included the deduction for charitable contributions on Form 1040, line 12b. However, i subsequently added additional itemized deduction amounts, which were enough to get above the standard deduction and result in Schedule A being included, and the total being carried over to Form 1040, line 12a. However, the program still continues to have the amount of charitable contributions on line 12b, and the total of 12a and 12b being shown on 12c. So now it's double crediting the charitable contributions, once on Schedule A and the second time on line 12b. Figured you'd want to know to update the programming.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for this information. We will escalate your experience and appreciate your interest in helping our customers. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
leslaaas

married filing separately. Line 12b. On my wifes return It says to enter $300 but it keeps showing $150 and smart check won't take either one. Our giving was much higher than this. I  didn't claim any of our giving on my taxes. Help

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

@leslaaas 

The correct maximum deduction for the Charitable Contribution under the Cares Act for married filing separately is $150.

Federal 1040 line 12b Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act can be entered at either:

• Deductions & Credits / Donations to Charity or
  • at the screen Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act immediately following Based on what you just told us, the Standard Deduction is best for you.

However, always pass all the way through both Deductions & Credits and Other Tax Situations.

At Deductions & Credits, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Wrap up tax breaks.

At Other Tax Situations, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Let’s keep going.

Remove the entry at Donations to Charity in 2021 by deleting the entry.

Remove the entry at the screen Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act by entering a $0.

See TurboTax Help.

I qualify for itemized deductions and I am getting the same error on line 12b. Filing jointly. 

I could get thru the error check if I put 600 on line 12b, but turbo tax ADDED that to my itemized deduction amount, which is not the correct amount. 

turbotax is adding 12a and 12b (600) even though I am taking itemized deduction. It seems 12b should be 0. And 12c should be same as 12a. 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

If you would be willing to share a diagnostic copy of your tax file, it could be helpful to examine the situation in more detail.  The diagnostic file will not contain personally identifiable information, only numbers related to your tax forms.

To do so, follow the instructions below and post the token number along with which version of TurboTax you are using (Online or CD/downloaded and which edition) in a follow-up thread.

Use these steps if you are using TurboTax Online:

• Sign in to your account and be sure you are in your tax return.
  • Select Tax Tools in the menu to the left.
  • Select Tools.
  • Select Share my file with agent.
  • A pop-up message will appear, select OK to send the sanitized diagnostic copy to us.
  • Post the token number here. 

If you are using a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, use these steps:

• Select Online at the top of the screen.
  • Select Send Tax File to Agent.
  • Click OK.
  • Post the token number here.

@musicnancy

I am not itemizing and am using the standard deductions.  Somewhere along the line I entered $120 of charitable contributions and this amount is now on line 12b.  Since then I have found more contributions so I want to increase the amount of line 12b.  I have no idea how to do it.  I tried to go back and track how the $120 was originally entered and can't find it anywhere.  How do I change the amount on line 12b?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you made any entries under Deductions & Credits section,  "Charitable Donations"  return to that section and DELETE any cash entries you made there. 

Go through the review. The program will ask you for your charity donation again although it may not be until after the state return is finished, at the END of the FINAL REVIEW.  (After the "Tax Summary for 2021" screen)

Enter the amount up to 600 Married Filing Joint.

The Tax law allows a Taxpayer to claim Charity Donations on their Schedule A or, if using the Standard Deduction, on their 1040 line 12b as an addition to their Standard Deduction amount. 

This amount can be up to 600 for Married Filing Joint, or 300 for all others.

Did you ever get an answer for this problem (itemizing but line 12b shows a value greater than zero)? Wondering if they have fixed the bug yet?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you have a number on your Form 1040 in box 12b, it can be from three places.

1. You had a carryover from 2020.
  2. You have something entered for charitable deductions under Deductions & Credits.
  3. You entered something under
    1.  Deductions & Credits
      1. Scroll to the very bottom

2. Select Wrap up Tax Breaks (Online)

3. Continue through the interview to 

4. Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act

5. Enter your donation.

1. No

2. Yes

3. I don't remember doing this, but maybe.

Regardless of how I answered for these three places, the way I read the 1040 instructions is that if 12a is for itemized (not a standard deduction) then 12b MUST be zero. I used the itemized method, but 12b is $600. Maybe I don't understand the 1040 instructions? I am happy to take the additional deduction if it is correct.

image.png

Also, from Sched A instructions:

image.png

BillM223
Expert Alumni

There is no dispute that if you Itemized Deductions then line 12b should be blank.

The issue is that depending on how you entered your deductions, TurboTax may get stuck on a number when it is no longer appropriate. 

Did you try Kris' suggestion above?

@byrones15

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies