ltmansel

Cant get my mortgage points deduction. refinanced in December and when I enter my interest paid on my 1st and 2nd mortgage and my points it only gives me credit for my interest payments

DDollar

If you refinanced in December 2016 you would not have made any payments on the new loan until 2017. 

Generally, taxpayers who itemize may deduct the “points” paid to obtain a home mortgage as interest. They may deduct the points on the mortgage related to a home purchase or a home improvement in the year paid, but for other loans – such as a refinanced mortgage – they must deduct the points over the life of the loan.

To figure the annual deduction amount, divide the total points paid by the number of payments to be made over the life of the loan. Usually, this information is available from the lender. For example, a homeowner who paid $2,000 in points on a 30-year mortgage (360 monthly payments) could deduct $5.56 per payment, or a total of $66.72 for 12 payments. Taxpayers may deduct points only for those payments actually made in the tax year.