turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you deduct cost of roof replacement due to hail damage

After my homeowner's insurance payment, I had $1,226.34 out-of pocket cost. Is that deductible -- and, if so, where?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JeremyB

Turbo Tax can help you determine if that loss is deductible, open the search panel and enter "casualty loss" and it should provide a jump-to link to the appropriate section.

rampager

I  had hail damage to my roof that required full replacement.  The insurance covered all but my deductible of $1000.  Is the $1000 deductible or any par of it as a casualty loss?

rampager

Where is the search panel?

@rampager Sorry but casualty losses are not deductible on your federal tax return.   The tax law that allowed you to enter such losses was changed for 2018 and beyond.   Only losses sustained in a federally declared disaster area can be deducted.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
William95

can i deduct the cost of a full cost of my roof replacement from wind damage.

@William95 Unless you are in a federal disaster area, you cannot deduct anything for replacing your roof.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@William95 wrote:

can i deduct the cost of a full cost of my roof replacement from wind damage.

Those costs can be added to your home's cost basis and may reduce your capital gains when you sell.  Losses due to storms and other casualties are not deductible unless the loss was due to a federally declared disaster (hurricane, wild fire, certain other events).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies