turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I write off home improvements to primary residence sold in 2016?

Can I write off home improvements to my primary residence that I sold in 2016?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

No. Instead the cost of home improvements increases the basis in your home to lower your overall gain (or increase a loss) on the sale. Unfortunately, this will not be of any benefit, if you are either taking the home gain exclusion or have a loss on the sale of your home. (The IRS does not allow the recognition of a capital loss on the sale of a personal use property.)

Please note -

You do not need to enter or report the sale of your primary residence if:

• You never used your primary residence as a rental or took home office deduction
  • You have a loss on the sale of your home (Personal capital losses are not reported on your tax return)
  • You did not receive a Form 1099-S and
  • You meet the home gain exclusion (see below)

You can take the gain exclusion as long as you considered the home your "primary residence" for 2 of the last 5 years. If you have a capital gain from the sale of your main home, you may qualify to exclude up to $250,000 of that gain from your income. You may qualify to exclude up to $500,000 of that gain if you file a joint return with your spouse. See  Sale of Your Home for more information on the exclusion.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

No. Instead the cost of home improvements increases the basis in your home to lower your overall gain (or increase a loss) on the sale. Unfortunately, this will not be of any benefit, if you are either taking the home gain exclusion or have a loss on the sale of your home. (The IRS does not allow the recognition of a capital loss on the sale of a personal use property.)

Please note -

You do not need to enter or report the sale of your primary residence if:

• You never used your primary residence as a rental or took home office deduction
  • You have a loss on the sale of your home (Personal capital losses are not reported on your tax return)
  • You did not receive a Form 1099-S and
  • You meet the home gain exclusion (see below)

You can take the gain exclusion as long as you considered the home your "primary residence" for 2 of the last 5 years. If you have a capital gain from the sale of your main home, you may qualify to exclude up to $250,000 of that gain from your income. You may qualify to exclude up to $500,000 of that gain if you file a joint return with your spouse. See  Sale of Your Home for more information on the exclusion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies