Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rhaynam

Can I enter energy credit for adding attic insulation?

It doesn't allow me to enter an energy credit for doing attic insulation in 2015.  I'm not sure if you can do a credit for attic insulation.  How do I input this energy credit??
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaT

For insulation, you can get a tax credit of 10% of the cost up to $500.    I have attached a TurboTax FAQ with more information. 

These are entered in the Deductions & Credits section:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search box, search for energy improvements. (Don't search for "energy credit," as this will take you to the wrong place in the program.)
  3. Click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  4. At the bottom of the Energy-Saving Home Improvements screen, answer Yes and click Continue.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Tip: You can see which energy-saving home improvements qualify for a federal tax credit at the Energy Star website.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300639

View solution in original post

11 Replies
RebeccaT

For insulation, you can get a tax credit of 10% of the cost up to $500.    I have attached a TurboTax FAQ with more information. 

These are entered in the Deductions & Credits section:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search box, search for energy improvements. (Don't search for "energy credit," as this will take you to the wrong place in the program.)
  3. Click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  4. At the bottom of the Energy-Saving Home Improvements screen, answer Yes and click Continue.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Tip: You can see which energy-saving home improvements qualify for a federal tax credit at the Energy Star website.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300639

Reecard

Just wondering if I can claim deductions for adding insulation to our home and installing energy efficient windows and doors?

I followed your prompts.  I spent $1500 (cost of insulation) on attic insulation. When I inputted that number, and after the final calculation, the window said that I would NOT receive any tax credit based on the information I inputted.  This had nothing to do with new construction, but fixing inadequate insulation when the house was built years ago. I checked the box "no the energy improvements where not related to construction of our main home".  Is this credit income based?  Does the federal tax credit show anywhere else other than "Home Energy Credit" in the summary page??

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, it would appear as a home energy credit on the summary page. It is not income based but is a non-refundable credit meaning that if your tax liability is zero after your income and deductions are calculated, then you will not receive credit but if this is the case, then the credit is carryforward until you are able to use it.

If the credit was disallowed completely, then it may be the way you answered the questions. For an example, if you have claimed an energy credit in past years, there is a lifetime energy credit limitation of $500. If you recorded information that past energy credits were claimed and if these equalled $500, no more energy credits are allowed.  

Check your answers very carefully to see if you missed a step if you did not claim energy credits in the past.

@sonzoil

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have never received any energy tax credit and I checked it that way.  So, if my tax liability is zero this year, how many years will this credit carry over? Would it ever expire?  My income will go up after age 73 when I have to take minimum IRA withdrawals.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

There is no time limit to claim the carry over. It will carry over indefinitely.

@sonzoil 

Dave,

So, when I complete the federal return, it should somewhere show a credit carryover to me?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will see your Energy Credit Carryover on Form 5695, Line 16.  Here's more info on Form 5695. 

@sonzoil 

Something then is very wrong. Line 16 is blank for me.  Did I answer the questions wrong in completing my credit?  I spent $1500 on insulation that I installed in my attic, to bring it up to code and efficiency. It was in my primary residence.  The construction questions are confusing.  The house was built in the 1970s. Please tell me how I am supposed to answer these questions, so I can get the energy improvement credit, and where does that show as a carry over on form 5695? I had NO tax liability for 2022 on my 1040.  I am retired and have a small income. My wife and I are filing jointly, and BOTH of us live in our primary residence.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

The credit calculations for insulation would be listed on Form 5695, in Boxes 25 to 30. The first page of the form is for Residential Clean Energy credit. A carry over of the credit is allowed for that type of energy credit. The second page of the form lists Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credits. No carryover credit is allowed for those credits. 

Please see this from the IRS:

@sonzoil 

Thank you.  I wished that was explained to me before.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies