Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the purchase of a vehicle as a result of a relocation for work?

I previously lived in NYC and did not require a car for work. I was forced to relocate to NC to keep my job with the same company.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

NO

No, that is a personal expense, not deductible on a tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

While you cannot deduct the purchase price of the car, you may be able to deduct the sales tax you paid for it and a portion of the registration fees. To deduct them, you must itemize deductions on your tax return rather than taking the standard deduction and you must deduct sales taxes rather than state income tax if your state has a state income tax. The only part of the registration fee that could be deducted would be the portion, if any, of the fee that was based on the value of the car. 

See this TurboTax help:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-deductions-and-credits/is-your-car-registration-deductible/....

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-credits-deductions/define-major-purc...).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies