Solved: Can I deduct the mortgage interest from my deceased father's home? The mortgage is written in a trust (estate of father's name) and I am the executor.

Can I deduct the mortgage interest from my deceased father's home? The mortgage is written in a trust (estate of father's name) and I am the executor.

Condolences on the loss of your father.

Yes, mortgage interest paid by a deceased taxpayer may be reported either on the final tax return for the taxpayer or the estate's tax return (if any).

However, you personally cannot deduct mortgage interest for a property held in trust for the estate of another taxpayer.

Condolences on the loss of your father.