Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the money I pay for in home elder care?

I pay my caretaker $300. per week to come on Mondays and Fridays to clean house, cook, take me to Dr's appointments, the grocery store , etc.  Can I deduct this money I pay to help me live in my home?  I am 76 years old.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

"When you hire a caregiver to assist you with bathing, dressing, eating, getting into and out of your bed, chair, etc. (called transferring), getting to and from the bathroom, or managing continence, the cost of those services is considered a tax deductible medical expense. Care for a person with memory loss, for their health and safety, is also a deductible medical expense.

When you pay someone to take you to a medical appointment (via ambulance, taxi, private car, etc.), the cost is considered a tax deductible medical expense."

See http://www.ezrahomecare.com/home-care-blog/bid/76021/Private-Home-Care-Services-May-be-Tax-Deductibl...

Given the above, your expenses appear to be personal in nature, and therefore non deductible except the expense of taking you to a medical appointment.

To report medical expenses in TurboTax:

• Click My Account (Top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type in medical expenses, sch a
  • Highlight it and select GO, and follow the prompts.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

"When you hire a caregiver to assist you with bathing, dressing, eating, getting into and out of your bed, chair, etc. (called transferring), getting to and from the bathroom, or managing continence, the cost of those services is considered a tax deductible medical expense. Care for a person with memory loss, for their health and safety, is also a deductible medical expense.

When you pay someone to take you to a medical appointment (via ambulance, taxi, private car, etc.), the cost is considered a tax deductible medical expense."

See http://www.ezrahomecare.com/home-care-blog/bid/76021/Private-Home-Care-Services-May-be-Tax-Deductibl...

Given the above, your expenses appear to be personal in nature, and therefore non deductible except the expense of taking you to a medical appointment.

To report medical expenses in TurboTax:

• Click My Account (Top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type in medical expenses, sch a
  • Highlight it and select GO, and follow the prompts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies