turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bmercer

Can I deduct the cost of a mobility scooter and lift for my car. had a failed hip replacement and now am unable to walk.

If these are deductible do I have to fill out a separate form. I usually file standard
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I deduct the cost of a mobility scooter and lift for my car. had a failed hip replacement and now am unable to walk.

Yes, as these types of deductions fall under the medical section of your itemized deductions Schedule A Worksheet that you would need to enter these expenses on. Unless you have a significant amount in other items that could be entered and considered on your Schedule A Worksheet, then you're better off using the standard deduction amount especially that given the changes in recent years, the SD is much higher than it used to be. 

Yes, these are deductible medical expenses, as long as they were not reimbursed by insurance.  Unfortunately, it may be difficult to actually get a tax benefit, since your medical expenses are only deductible if they are more than 7.5% of your income, AND your total itemized deductions are more that your standard deduction.  

The best way to determine this is to add all your itemized deductions in Turbotax, even if you don't usually list your charity donations or taxes paid.  List everything, including all your out of pocket medical expenses in addition to the chair and lift.  If you can pull together enough itemized deductions to make a difference, Turbotax will claim the deduction for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies