Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

madisyd

Can I deduct points paid on a purchase that were paid by my employer due to relocation? It was included in my w-2 as taxable and not grossed up.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I deduct points paid on a purchase that were paid by my employer due to relocation? It was included in my w-2 as taxable and not grossed up.

Yes, you can deduct the points paid on your return due the fact that they were added to your W-2.  Had they just been reimbursed and NOT added to your wages it would not be deductible.  

Points are deductible in the Mortgage interest area.

To enter mortgage interest

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits 
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Your Home
  • On Mortgage Interest, click on the start or update button

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Yes, you can deduct the points paid on your return due the fact that they were added to your W-2.  Had they just been reimbursed and NOT added to your wages it would not be deductible.  

Points are deductible in the Mortgage interest area.

To enter mortgage interest

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits 
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Your Home
  • On Mortgage Interest, click on the start or update button
madisyd

What about the sales expenses on the sale of the house that the relocation company paid at closing,  The amount is on my w-2 and has been grossed up.

Take a look at this link (however I do not see selling costs as an item that car be deducted). <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/General-Tax-Tips/IRS-Moving-Expense-Deductions/INF143...>
Jesst1289
Returning Member

Does anyone have a reference to the irs tax code for this answer. I am
In a similar boat and need to have a written explaining included reference to tax code. I can’t seem to find anything on this specific issue.
dmertz
Level 15

There is really nothing to explain.  The reason that the employer paid you some amount above your regular wages (a fringe benefit, supplemental wages) and included it in the total wages shown on your W-2 is irrelevant.  The employer simply paid you some total amount of reportable wages and you yourself paid some amount of points, two independent entries on your tax return.  The tax code requires that your wages be included in income and a separate section of the tax code allows a deduction for points paid.  The two are unrelated.

Jesst1289
Returning Member

Either way, I am just trying to find a reference to IRS support stating that I CAN INDEED take the deduction for the points paid, even though they were paid by my employer. According to the others on this thread, they are saying that I can deduct the points. I just wanted to reference the tax code when explaining my position to the mortgage company and if necessary the IRS. 

dmertz
Level 15

Because the money was included in your wages in box 1 of your W-2, the points were paid by you, not by your employer.

Jesst1289
Returning Member

Thank you. I appreciate your help!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies