Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct my monthly dental insurance premium?

It requests that I list any insurance premiums i pay for out of pocket. Does this include my monthly dental insurance premium i pay every month??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Yes, dental insurance premiums paid are deductible as a health care premium expense.

You can deduct your dental insurance if you're itemizing and if you didn't pay for it pretax which means that your employer didn't take the insurance premium out before taxes were deducted on its earnings.  The same goes for medical.  But, in most cases the employers do not take the taxes out of those earnings, thus you are getting a break and then you cannot deduct the premiums since you can only get one break.  (If you pay for it without going through your employer, you can deduct it.)

Donin GA, only if you didn't pay for it pretax.

Employer-sponsored plansPremiums for company health insurance are not tax-deductible. Employers deduct premium payments from your paycheck on a pretax basis. Since your employee contributions are already taking advantage of tax savings, you can't deduct them again on your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies