Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct membership dues to a professional organization? If so is the item donated listed as money? Can I deduct the money donated towards Operation Christmas Child?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I deduct membership dues to a professional organization? If so is the item donated listed as money? Can I deduct the money donated towards Operation Christmas Child?

Operation Christmas Child appears to be operated by the Samaritan’s Purse, which is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charity. Therefore contributions to this - and any other qualified charitable organization - are deductible on Schedule A under Itemized Deductions.

You either list the amount of money you donated or the current value of the item you donated. Note that you cannot normally deduct more than the item cost you.

Dues to professional organizations may be deductible as an employee business expense (subject to the 2% floor) if the membership helps you carry out the duties of your job. See the link to the excellent answer by TurboTaxHelena below.

However, if you are self-employed, you can list the dues as an ordinary business expense on Schedule C, if memberships helps you carry on your business.

See Helena's answer here - https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5331724

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Operation Christmas Child appears to be operated by the Samaritan’s Purse, which is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charity. Therefore contributions to this - and any other qualified charitable organization - are deductible on Schedule A under Itemized Deductions.

You either list the amount of money you donated or the current value of the item you donated. Note that you cannot normally deduct more than the item cost you.

Dues to professional organizations may be deductible as an employee business expense (subject to the 2% floor) if the membership helps you carry out the duties of your job. See the link to the excellent answer by TurboTaxHelena below.

However, if you are self-employed, you can list the dues as an ordinary business expense on Schedule C, if memberships helps you carry on your business.

See Helena's answer here - https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5331724

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies