Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

can i deduct medical premiums from a marketplace in excess of what appears on my 1095-A and if so how in Turbotax ?

I purchased my medical insurance through my state's marketplace last year at full price (no premium assistance).  When I received my form 1095-A, the amount shown as my premium each month was less than what I actually paid in medical premiums.  I called the state marketplace people and they said it was not an error, that the 1095-A only shows the portion of the premium which is for 'essential' coverage (meaning I guess that my chosen plan offers something more than what is legally required).  Can I deduct the portion of my actual premiums which was not included on my form 1095-A or am I limited to what's on that form ?  If I can, do I enter that incremental amount in the 'medical premiums' section of 'deductions' in TurboTax online ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

can i deduct medical premiums from a marketplace in excess of what appears on my 1095-A and if so how in Turbotax ?

Yes, you can deduct the total of all the premiums you paid in 2021 even if they were not included on the 1095-A.  The entry is medical premiums.  

If it is a personal deduction, you must itemize your deductions and you can deduct only the amount of total medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can deduct the total of all the premiums you paid in 2021 even if they were not included on the 1095-A.  The entry is medical premiums.  

If it is a personal deduction, you must itemize your deductions and you can deduct only the amount of total medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies