pwtravels

Can I deduct hotel expenses for my husband while I was in the hospital out of state?

Leonard

Yes if you itemize your deductions You may include in medical expenses the cost of lodging not provided in a hospital or similar institution. You can include the cost of such lodging while away from home if all of the following requirements are met.

• The lodging is primarily for and essential to medical care.
  • The medical care is provided by a doctor in a licensed hospital or in a medical care facility related to, or the equivalent of, a licensed hospital.
  • The lodging is not lavish or extravagant under the circumstances.
  • There is no significant element of personal pleasure, recreation, or vacation in the travel away from home.

If you do not itemize your deductions then you can not deduct the hotel expenses