Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

olsont01

Can I deduct food expenses while traveling for medical reasons?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KiaraE

Directly from the IRS Publication 502:

You can include in medical expenses the cost of meals at a hospital or similar institution if a principal reason for being there is to get medical care. You can't include in medical expenses the cost of meals that aren't part of inpatient care. 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

ibmpete
Returning Member

My wife's 90 year old Mother has been living with us for 2 years.  She does not drive.  I am legally blind and do not drive.  In Jan 2021, her mother fell and severely broke her femur and she was transported by ambulance from local emergency room to UT Medical Center 77 miles away.  She spent 4 weeks in ICU/hospital and then spent 2 months ini extended care.  

Entire time in hospital my wife stayed at a hotel and spent entire days with her mom.  Most of her meals she purchased at hospital.  We used Hilton points at first to cover hotel but ran out and had to pay out of pocket.

How much is deductible

PattiF
Expert Alumni

You will be able to include some of these expenses on your tax return as an Itemized Deduction on Schedule A.

You can include lodging for a person traveling with the person receiving the medical care. This is subject to a $50 per person limit per night. Unfortunately, meals are not a deductible expense for someone traveling with a medical patient.

Mileage expenses to travel to and from the UT Medical Center are a deductible expense with a standard mileage rate of 16 cents per mile. 

You can deduct only the part of your medical expenses that is more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income (AGI).

Here is a TurboTax help article with instructions on entering your expenses.

@ibmpete

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
D_Tnemeth

I have AML( Lukemia ) and went and still going to a doctor in Florida for treatment.  We live in Indiana, so have had travel expenses such as gas, hotel, food from Indiana to Florida, and while in Florida.  Are these expenses tax deductible?

@D_Tnemeth wrote:

I have AML( Lukemia ) and went and still going to a doctor in Florida for treatment.  We live in Indiana, so have had travel expenses such as gas, hotel, food from Indiana to Florida, and while in Florida.  Are these expenses tax deductible?

Yes, those expenses are deductible on Schedule A as an itemized medical expense.  However, only your total medical expenses that are greater than 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) can be deducted. Your total itemized deductions reported on Form 1040 Schedule A must be greater than the standard deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

Use IRS Publication 502 Medical and Dental Expenses for information on medical expenses that can be deducted - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies