Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kkg

Can I deduct expenses for a conference necessary to my work? Includes unreimbursed portion of conference fees, supplied meals, and hotel.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I deduct expenses for a conference necessary to my work? Includes unreimbursed portion of conference fees, supplied meals, and hotel.

Unreimbursed business expenses are deductible as itemized miscellaneous deductions subject to the 2% rule, so your actual benefit will be reduced and subject to your other tax situations.

You can deduct expenses that are ordinary and reasonable in your line of work.

For travel away from home, you can deduct actual travel expenses, actual lodging expenses, and either 50% of your actual food cost, or 50% of the federal per diem meal rate for the location you traveled to.  I believe that if you list all your meal expenses, turbotax will perform the 50% adjustment.  You can also deduct conference registration.

JoshuaT

This link will provide you the guide lines provided by the IRS regarding business expenses.
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/deducting-business-expenses#what

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies