turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct communications and utilities expenses under my parents name?

I live with my parents and run a business online and was wondering if I can deduct my phone bill, internet, and utilities. These bills are under their name, not mine. I do have proof of checks written to my dad but I'm not sure if since it's not in my name if I can deduct it from my business expense since I don't own the house and I just live here.

Thanks.

Also I can deduct the full price of a brand new iPhone right? I bought it for my business and do have a receipt.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may deduct the portion of the bill as business expense on your Schedule C. The cancelled checks were proof of payments and should be attached to the completed Form 1040.  You don't need to owned a home to claim those expenses.

So I just report the amount in the check I paid my dad and that counts? I am not sure there is an option to attach this check on turbo tax. Thanks.

I am not sure what you mean by cancelled checks

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Correct, you  do not have to attach proof of payment for business expenses to your tax return - just report the amounts paid in the Business Income and Expenses interview of TurboTax Self-employed (or Home & Business).

A "cancelled check" is a copy of the check you wrote your Dad that has been processed for payment by the bank. In many cases, these  can be accessed (or printed) by logging in to your bank account online.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies