Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct apartment owners association dues?

If yes then what expense category should I use? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you are renting out an apartment you own, then you can deduct these fees as a rental expense under miscellaneous expenses. However, if you live in this apartment where you are assessed association dues, there is no deduction for such personal expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

In the case where you own the apartments that are rented, your expense for apartment owner association dues will be reported on Schedule E. 

If you pay a single amount that covers multiple units entered individually in your return, divide the amount among the units and deduct that unit's portion as an expense.

Use these steps to go to the rental income and expenses section of your return:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “rental income and expenses” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to rental income and expenses
  • Click on the blue “Jump to rental income and expenses” link 

As you enter your expense information there will be a miscellaneous expense section where you can enter your own description and amount for the expense.

@mkochins

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you are renting out an apartment you own, then you can deduct these fees as a rental expense under miscellaneous expenses. However, if you live in this apartment where you are assessed association dues, there is no deduction for such personal expenses.

Thanks DianeW777,

Yes, I rent apartments I own.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

In the case where you own the apartments that are rented, your expense for apartment owner association dues will be reported on Schedule E. 

If you pay a single amount that covers multiple units entered individually in your return, divide the amount among the units and deduct that unit's portion as an expense.

Use these steps to go to the rental income and expenses section of your return:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “rental income and expenses” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to rental income and expenses
  • Click on the blue “Jump to rental income and expenses” link 

As you enter your expense information there will be a miscellaneous expense section where you can enter your own description and amount for the expense.

@mkochins

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies