Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

robertburt1
Returning Member

Can I deduct a portion of a CCRC Entrance Fee as prepaid medical expense?

CCRC means Continuing Care Retirement Community.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

That depends. 

If the CCRC is similar to a nursing home-

YES, IF the cost would be considered Medical Expense because the reason for the lodging is the nursing care provided, and not just a personal convenience.

NO, IF the fee covers lodging that would be attained strictly as a personal convenience ( in which case only the cost associated with medical care would be allowed) 

If the Entrance Fee is considered "Prepaid" because it crossed tax years (paid in 2022 for service to be received in 2023) 

YES, IF the expenses will be incurred in a reasonable amount of time after payment. 

If the Entrance Fee is considered "Prepaid" because it is an Advance Payment for Lifetime Care.

YES, IF this payment is an Advance Payment for Lifetime Care.

According to the IRS:

“You can include in medical expenses the cost of medical care in a nursing home, home for the aged, or similar institution, for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents. This includes the cost of meals and lodging in the home if a principal reason for being there is to get medical care. Don't include the cost of meals and lodging if the reason for being in the home is personal. You can, however, include in medical expenses the part of the cost that is for medical or nursing care.”

“You can include in medical expenses a part of a life-care fee or “founder's fee” you pay either monthly or as a lump sum under an agreement with a retirement home. The part of the payment you include is the amount properly allocable to medical care. The agreement must require that you pay a specific fee as a condition for the home's promise to provide lifetime care that includes medical care. You can use a statement from the retirement home to prove the amount properly allocable to medical care. The statement must be based either on the home's prior experience or on information from a comparable home.”

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, I will deduct the designated portion of the CCRC entrance fee, but where/how do I do it in TurboTax?

It is considered a medical expense like doctor fees and insurance costs. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Critter-3 is correct, it will be entered under medical expense. In your return:

go to deductions and credits. 

Scroll down to Medical. 

Locate Medical Expenses, start/ edit.

Reference: Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

what attachment to return is required show "medical expense portion of continuing care monthly service fee"?

@cjdipietro wrote:

what attachment to return is required show "medical expense portion of continuing care monthly service fee"?

You don't need to attach proof to your tax return, but keep such proof for at least 3 years after you file in case of audit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies