turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I decline using my hsa for medical expenses when itemizing medical expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I decline using my hsa for medical expenses when itemizing medical expenses?

I am not sure what you mean, but I'll lay out how it works...

You do not have to use your HSA to pay for qualified medical expenses, but the option is always there. Using the HSA to cover medical expenses is generally better than trying to use Schedule A, because you can deduct on Schedule A only those medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of your adjust gross income (AGI), but you can use HSA funds to pay for any medical expense that is not reimbursed by insurance.

One thing is that if you report a distribution from your HSA by entering your 1099-SA, TurboTax is going to automatically subtract that amount from the medical and dental expenses reported on Schedule A. Why? Because TurboTax assumes that you entered all medical bills, and then TurboTax asks you for insurance reimbursements which it subtracts from the bills and does the same with HSA distributions.

This is a problem for those taxpayers who entered only their net medical bills, i.e., the bill minus any discounts and insurance reimbursements. Their medical and dental expenses are artificially reduced in this case.

The solution for a taxpayer who both (1) had HSA distributions and (2) wants to also try to deduct medical and dental expenses on Schedule A, is to add a miscellaneous item at the end of the Medical interview that has the description of "HSA paid expenses" and the amount of the HSA distribution (from the 1099-SA).

In this way, the HSA distribution is subtracted from the miscellaneous entry, and the result is that your medical and dental expenses are not artificially reduced. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I am not sure what you mean, but I'll lay out how it works...

You do not have to use your HSA to pay for qualified medical expenses, but the option is always there. Using the HSA to cover medical expenses is generally better than trying to use Schedule A, because you can deduct on Schedule A only those medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of your adjust gross income (AGI), but you can use HSA funds to pay for any medical expense that is not reimbursed by insurance.

One thing is that if you report a distribution from your HSA by entering your 1099-SA, TurboTax is going to automatically subtract that amount from the medical and dental expenses reported on Schedule A. Why? Because TurboTax assumes that you entered all medical bills, and then TurboTax asks you for insurance reimbursements which it subtracts from the bills and does the same with HSA distributions.

This is a problem for those taxpayers who entered only their net medical bills, i.e., the bill minus any discounts and insurance reimbursements. Their medical and dental expenses are artificially reduced in this case.

The solution for a taxpayer who both (1) had HSA distributions and (2) wants to also try to deduct medical and dental expenses on Schedule A, is to add a miscellaneous item at the end of the Medical interview that has the description of "HSA paid expenses" and the amount of the HSA distribution (from the 1099-SA).

In this way, the HSA distribution is subtracted from the miscellaneous entry, and the result is that your medical and dental expenses are not artificially reduced. 

P.S. If you received a 1099-SA, you must enter it, or else your form 8889 will not match the IRS's records, because they get a copy of the 1099-SA and will be curious as to why you didn't enter it on your form.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies