turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I count the days I missed work due to chronic illness and didn't get paid as a medical expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Can I count the days I missed work due to chronic illness and didn't get paid as a medical expense?

No, missing working or losing income is never claimed as an expense. We are taxed on the income we make. From there, if there are claimable expenses to deduct, we take them then.

To put it another way, if you had worked and earned more money, you would be paying taxes on a higher income. Reducing an already reduced income would be like double-dipping and that's not allowed.

Here's some more info on medical expenses that are not deductible:

Any medical expenses for which you are reimbursed, such as by your insurance or employer, cannot be deducted. In addition, the IRS generally disallows expenses for cosmetic procedures. You cannot deduct the cost of non-prescription drugs (except insulin) or other purchases for general health such as toothpaste, health club dues, vitamins or diet food, non-prescription nicotine products or medical expenses paid in a different year.

Click for an IRS Checklist here

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MichaelDC

No, missing working or losing income is never claimed as an expense. We are taxed on the income we make. From there, if there are claimable expenses to deduct, we take them then.

To put it another way, if you had worked and earned more money, you would be paying taxes on a higher income. Reducing an already reduced income would be like double-dipping and that's not allowed.

Here's some more info on medical expenses that are not deductible:

Any medical expenses for which you are reimbursed, such as by your insurance or employer, cannot be deducted. In addition, the IRS generally disallows expenses for cosmetic procedures. You cannot deduct the cost of non-prescription drugs (except insulin) or other purchases for general health such as toothpaste, health club dues, vitamins or diet food, non-prescription nicotine products or medical expenses paid in a different year.

Click for an IRS Checklist here

Thank you!
MichaelDC

More than a pleasure!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies