tanbowen

Can I claim the EV federal tax credit if I financed it thru the dealership?

Hio all, I'm planning to finance/loan a BMW 530e thru my local dealership. I checked the IRS and I'm sure there is $5800 federal tax credit available for the 530e. But can I claim it if I finance the vehicle? Or I must pay it in full in order to claim the tax credit? Appreciate your answers!

Of course you can take the credit if you finance it ... you bought it and it is yours.  The fact there is a lien on it is immaterial.  Can you imagine how few people could take the credit if there was a cash purchase stipulation ?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

just a fyi.  if you lease it, a method of financing, you don't get the credit.  

tanbowen

Thanks a lot! Actually, I'll not lease it, instead, loan it

tanbowen

Thanks a lot for replying! Actually, I can hardly find answers if financed EV eligible for the federal tax credit lol, interesting...

No matter where/how  you finance the auto loan it is still just a lien on the car title like a mortgage on your home.  You OWN  the property you just couldn't pay it all in cash up front, someone else needed to loan you the money.  

If this was a restriction the IRS reg would say so ... like it says leased vehicles are not allowed since you are not the registered owner of the car.