purplebutterfly07

Can I claim the dependent care credit, if the daycare was paid through the other parent's paycheck, even if I helped pay for Daycare?

My children's daycare is connected with their Dad's work, so he pays for the daycare directly out of his paycheck and he also receives a discount for the daycare. However, I give him money to cover most of the daycare expenses. The Daycare is under both of our names, but it comes directly out of his paycheck. If I am claiming the children this year can I claim the Daycare expenses? 

CarolC

It depends.  You can claim the Dependent Care Credit if you are the custodial parent.  That is the parent with whom the child spends the majority of the time.

If you are the custodial parent, then yes you can deduct the expenses you paid.

See the TurboTax FAQ below for more information on claiming this credit.  Click "See entire answer" for the full page view.