turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim tax deductions for Professional Certification Study Material I purchased & the Certification Exam fee I paid?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Can I claim tax deductions for Professional Certification Study Material I purchased & the Certification Exam fee I paid?

If you need the certification to meet the minimum requirements for a particular type of job, or it will qualify you for a new field, then it is not deductible.

If the certification is to maintain or improve your skills for a job you are already working in, or is required to keep your current job, you can deduct the cost as job-related expenses. However, job-related expenses are a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% of AGI limitation. That means that 2% of your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) is subtracted from your total miscellaneous itemized deductions. Only the remaining amount is deductible. In addition, the deduction will not have any tax benefit unless your total itemized deductions are more than your standard deduction.

Here's how to enter job-related expenses in TurboTax.

• Click the Federal Taxes tab. (In TurboTax Home & Business click the Personal Tab.)
  • Click Deductions & Credits.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a full list."
  • On the screen "Your 2016 Deductions & Credits," scroll down to the Employment Expenses section.
  • Click the Start, Update, or Revisit button for Job-Related Expenses.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you need the certification to meet the minimum requirements for a particular type of job, or it will qualify you for a new field, then it is not deductible.

If the certification is to maintain or improve your skills for a job you are already working in, or is required to keep your current job, you can deduct the cost as job-related expenses. However, job-related expenses are a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% of AGI limitation. That means that 2% of your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) is subtracted from your total miscellaneous itemized deductions. Only the remaining amount is deductible. In addition, the deduction will not have any tax benefit unless your total itemized deductions are more than your standard deduction.

Here's how to enter job-related expenses in TurboTax.

• Click the Federal Taxes tab. (In TurboTax Home & Business click the Personal Tab.)
  • Click Deductions & Credits.
  • Click "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a full list."
  • On the screen "Your 2016 Deductions & Credits," scroll down to the Employment Expenses section.
  • Click the Start, Update, or Revisit button for Job-Related Expenses.
jakewroth

The above seems to contradict itself.  "certification to meet the minimum requirements for a particular type of job" and "is required to keep your current job".  A teacher license is required to keep a job and meet the minimum requirements.  SO, which would that fall under?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@jakewroth - If you are getting the teaching license for the first time, it's to meet the minimum requirements for the job. If you are working as a teacher and you are already licensed, renewing your license is to keep your current job.
jakewroth

Ok, that makes sense.  My wife is a teacher and I'm an engineer.  Both of us are in our professions where we are renewing our licenses.  Based on the above it would be deductible is my understanding.

My daughter just finished her 2 year social working course in June 2017, she had to pay a new graduate fee $80 and a memebership as a new graduate employed in social working October 18, 2017 - October 01, 2018.  So I’m assuming she can’t write off these expenses until it comes time to renew, please correct me if I am misunderstanding.
tekodada

For tax years 2018 through 2025, all employee expenses – are no longer deductible, even if the employee can itemize deductions. However, if the taxpayer is self-employed and has employee related expenses such as union dues, those dues are deductible as a business expense.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you are Self-Employed, you can include expenses that are ordinary and necessary on your Schedule C.

@tekodada

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies