turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i claim TAX credit for energy efficient window shutters for home?

For home improvement?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The credit expired at the end of 2016 and was not included in the 2017 tax forms.  Congress extended the credit retroactively in the Feb 8 budget deal, but the IRS has not yet announced a time table for allowing tax software companies to accept the credit.  Turbotax will be updated as soon as possible.  You can either wait, or file without the credit and then file an amended return later.

Windows and doors also need to specifically meet or exceed Energy Star version 6.0 requirements, so check your manufacturer's documentation.  I don't know if shutters, which might be usable in hot sunny climate to reduce heat gain, meet those requirements.  I usually think of windows and doors to seal out the cold, not keep out the heat.  Check with the manufacturer.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The credit expired at the end of 2016 and was not included in the 2017 tax forms.  Congress extended the credit retroactively in the Feb 8 budget deal, but the IRS has not yet announced a time table for allowing tax software companies to accept the credit.  Turbotax will be updated as soon as possible.  You can either wait, or file without the credit and then file an amended return later.

Windows and doors also need to specifically meet or exceed Energy Star version 6.0 requirements, so check your manufacturer's documentation.  I don't know if shutters, which might be usable in hot sunny climate to reduce heat gain, meet those requirements.  I usually think of windows and doors to seal out the cold, not keep out the heat.  Check with the manufacturer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies