thesakr

Can I claim childcare expenses if I am not claiming child as a defendant for 2016

Filing as single and my ex spouse claiming my son as dependent per our agreement;  but I paid  childcare expenses. Can I claim those expenses

Yes if you are the custodial parent where the child  physically lived for more than half the year (183 nights) then:

When you enter the dependent, you say that he/she is "Your child" (not you and your spouse if remarried),
he/she lived with you the whole year,
“no” the child did not pay more than half of his/her own support,
"yes", you have a custody agreement,
and "yes", the other parent is claiming this year.  

That will give you the EIC, Child Care Credit and Head of Household filing status if you otherwise qualify.

The other (non-custodial) parent can claim the child’s exemption and child tax credit only and needs a signed 8332 form to do so.

cccrutch

It is not letting me claim child care expenses because unless I claim the child.. help?

@cccrutch - Are you the custodian parent that lived with the child?  If so, delete the dependent and enter as in the answer above.   The child must have been under age 13 at the time the care was given to qualify.
cccrutch

Yes I am the custodial parent and paid for preschool expenses this past year, but my ex is claiming her this year. So how do I go about claiming the credit where and what do I do?

Enter the child as I said in the answer box above, then go to the child and dependent care section and answer the questions.
cccrutch

Answer box? Sorry I'm confused

There is only one answer to this thread  that has the step by step directions- scroll back.

It says:

If you are the custodial parent where the child physically lived for more than half the year (183 nights) then:

he/she lived with you the whole year,
"yes", you have a custody agreement,

That will give you the EIC,  Child Care Credit and Head of Household filing status if you otherwise qualify.

The child would be listed as "non-dependent EIC & Dependent Care only".

cccrutch

I got ya, thank you

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing