turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

monicagrace44
Returning Member

Calculation Error in Federal Itemized Deducations

Error check comes up with no errors until I go to transmit my taxes. After I paid and went through everything it says that there is one error. The error is in Part 2, Adjustments to Federal Itemized Deductions, Medical Expenses. The numbers that are entered on the left side are correct but the calculation that Turbo tax does, subtract line 3 from line 1 is incorrect. It won't let me correct it. I've run through all my data and reentered everything and it still comes up. I am extremely frustrated! I've never had issues with Turbo Tax in 15 years of doing them myself.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AlexanderS08
Expert Alumni

If the error check screen you are taken to does not allow you to make the correction you want to make, then I recommend you go in to Medical Expenses from the Federal Section.

Click on "Federal" on the left hand side to leave the error check screen.

Then select review/edit for "Deductions & Credits."

Under the list of all tax breaks select "Medical" and see if you are able to correct the error in those screens.

Then once you make any changes, go back to Federal review and run the error check again. That should clear it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
monicagrace44
Returning Member

I did that and there is nothing I can change. Its the calculation that turbo tax does with the numbers that are from the returns. The only information I put in was how much was spent of medical withholding from my tax form. Turbo Tax calculates the 10% on line 3 and then subtracts that from line 1 for line 4. Both 3 and 4 are not information that I put in and that's where the error is. When I go to the medical expenses there is nothing for me to change.

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

The calculation difference could be caused by a change in the tax law. When the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2020 was signed into law on December 20,2019 the Medical expense Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) limitation threshold was reduced from 10% to 7.5% of AGI through the end of 2020.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies