Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

pnoyes1

Bug with refinance on a large mortgage

I refinanced this year myself. Refinanced the original loan back in October 9th 2020. The new refinance loan company then went on to resell my loan effective 12/3/20 to a new loan servicer so I ended up with 3 1098's for 2020 tax year. The kicker is neither the new loan company or the new servicer who acquired my loan on 12/3/20 reflected the Property Taxes paid in November 2020 (I am in Oregon) so I had to literally confirm that my taxes were indeed paid on the County tax website. I set up an escrow account so wasn't too worried about this but still annoying the original refinance company did not reflect the Property Taxes paid on the 1098 they provided me. Anyways back to the MAJOR BUG in TT. I entered all 3 1098's EXACTLY how they read. No matter what I did the moment I entered the 3rd 1098 (the new servicer who acquired the loan as of 12/3/20) my State refund took a HUGE hit and my Federal refund amount went down a few hundred dollars. My workaround (whether right or wrong or risking IRS scrutiny) was to amend the Outstanding Mortgage Principal from what the original refinance companies 1098 form showed (well below any threshold amount of $750K etc.) to $0. Everything else I entered matches exactly what the 3 1098 forms reflected to the tee  (total interest paid, points, origination date, mortgage acquisition date etc.). For some reason TT is adding the 2 loan amounts up disqualifying you from using the Itemized Deductible and recommending Standard Deduction. This is a Class Action lawsuit just waiting to be filed. 100% accuracy my a$$. As a side note I tried using Credit Karmas FREE (both Federal & State) e-tax online program and it did the same exact thing once I entered the 3rd 1098!!!!!! Not surprising since TT (Intuit) purchased Credit Karma. I will NOT be using TT next year and will use Credit Karma to file my taxes FREE for both State & Federal since it's essentially the same thing as TT (minus some bells N whistles most of us do not need)!!!!!  

markyg50
Returning Member

Why not just enter the info accurately from the 1098s (I have 2), and when the turbotax "review" triggers the question about entering the amount that the interest is limited to on line 8A, just enter your total mortgage interest amount? I haven't tried e-filing yet, but it got me past the question. My belief is the IRS will only see that amount on Line 8A, nothing about the mortgage being limited in any way.

FYI - I ran through HR Block online to see if they have the same error, and they do.

If we manually enter the value at the review step for the full mortgage interest amount at 8a, will this give the correct value still for the california deduction calculations?

Thanks so much @MattB, this is super helpful.

I have not yet been able to get to the line by line check stage of my return (awaiting some forms from IRS to be finalized), so have not yet played with this. agree that the best solution would be to fix the worksheet and report the 1098 correctly (although doesn’t seem either of these actually ever get sent to the IRS). Are you using a desktop or online implementation? I’m not sure if user access to the worksheets is different depending on the particular platform and version…

During the interview questions, the values from the various boxes of the Forms 1098 end up on the Deductible Home Mortgage Interest worksheet. The worksheet calculations then result in a value to be entered on schedule A.

While it is true that the IRS receives copies of the Forms 1098, the specific values from that sheet do not appear on the individual tax return in most cases. In fact, in certain cases such as a cash-out refinance wherein during a refinance, the borrower gets a check, one would have to change the values on the worksheet to split out the principal listed on the Form 1098 to show what is what is not part of the home acquisition debt.

I know that there is apprehension about filling out values on the interview screen on TT Online that do not correlate to the boxes, but those values are used by the algorithm for the worksheet.

The online version does not allow the user to edit the worksheet, so unless you can figure out the ways to answer the question to populate the worksheet correctly, you are stuck. The desktop version, however, does allow you to edit the forms directly. As was said by other before, adjusting the "average balance" is the easiest way to have the right values appear.

In fact, if one were doing taxes on paper, this average balance calculation is exactly what would need to be done to enter the information correctly. Unfortunately, TT does not provide an automated way to calculate these balances for refinanced loans correctly.

@Bostondoc84  I'm using the desktop version (for Mac). I haven't gotten to the review stage either since I'm still working on other parts of my taxes. I'm curious if the review at the end will prompt a warning and way to fix it that I haven't seen yet. So far, it's not showing any error or warning, and it's showing an incorrect amount on the schedule A that's reducing my deduction and increasing my taxes due significantly. Fortunately, at least with the desktop version, I'm able to switch to the "Forms" view and directly override the supporting "Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet" to arrive at the right deduction amount as a workaround.

yyao3
Returning Member

I finally find the fix or workaround for this. But looks others find the similar.

Please go to form review (Ctrl-2) and find the form named - Ded Home Mort. "Override" the numbers you feel wrong including:

1. Months loan outstanding in "Part 1" in page 1

2.  num 7 in "Part 1" in page 2 (which is the most important one): please change it to the right average balance.

And if you find the error in the state return, you can delete it in the state, then turbotax will regenerate the new form with the right data.

The trick part: How to "Override" the data in the form?

originally you only can change the cell with yellow color which are the ones you input in the "step by step" mode. for other cell, you can use "override" to change it. How to override? two methods:

move your mouse on the cell you want to change then

1.  Ctrl-D

2. right click and choose "override"

Posting in this thread to follow.  I am having the same issue.  I have been told you can override the mortgage average in the desktop version, which seems to be a decent workaround since that is the issue that is being caused, but what about for those using the online version?  They appear to be stuck, since they cannot override anything.

Posting to follow. I didn't refinance; just had the mortgage sold to another lender two months after the origination date.

I have a similar issue using the online TT Deluxe. Refinanced a $647k mortgage, then the mortgage got transferred so I ended up with three 1098s. Entered all three correctly, got the “error” where the box to limit interest was checked YES. So I went back and deleted the 1098s and re-entered. Same error. Unfortunately, when the software called for me to fix, I erroneously typed $0 and royally screwed up my return. Ended up calling support and after much ado, the rep found this. It is definitely a bug. Now I wait for a fix....

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/payroll-reminders/help/check-this-entry-tax-and-interest-deduction...

Exactly the boat I'm in. I have 2 1098's and same issue. I could've filed by now. I don't understand how TT is not doing anything about this. Its common to refi and existing loans to be sold. It should be a priority to get this bug fixed! I am giving it another week or so to see if it gets hammered out. If not I guess I am switching software. Shame, been using Trubo for 8 years. 

My eyes have been bleeding, trying to solve this problem.  Like many of you, I have 3 1098s (loan was purchased shortly after refinancing).  I spent 2 hours on the phone with TT the other day, and this woman tried everything to help me, to no avail.   

Back at it this morning, and I found this thread.  I reentered all of my 1098s, just as they read. Then went into ded home morg worksheet.   CTRL-D and was able to override line 7 (average balance of debt acquired after 2017) to 0.  I had no new debt after 2017, as it was a refi with no cash out.   I have 0 red flags now, and am able to file. 

Hope this helps!

@Meeeeechele 

Ctrl D?  Can you please clarify if you are an online user or a desktop user, and if desktop, are you PC or Mac?

Apologies...PC, Desktop Version.    I would imagine there are different shortcuts for Mac or online versions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies