Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Bug with refinance on a large mortgage

The IRS does not open until February 12. They work on forms from most common to least common. See Federal form availability for expected release dates. Once released, we work to incorporate them quickly. As we incorporate, there are issues. Please sign up for notifications on the mortgage interest.

@angels2k

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@AmyC 

Glad to hear it! thank you for letting us know. I look forward to the resolution. 

I have subd for the notifications. 

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may claim mortgage interest deduction regardless of the number of lenders as long as the loan does not exceed $750,000 for married filing joint ($375,000 for single filers). The home mortgage loan must be secured by the property to qualify for the deduction.

See,why is mortgage being limited, for any issues encountered.

@JoannaB2 

Thanks, Joanne.  As mentioned by others here, the issue is a software one, as the software is currently just adding up all the re-finance totals instead of averaging them out.

I have subscribed for updates, I am hoping a resolution is achieved soon.  It appears a lot of people had this issue last year and TurboTax never resolved it, so this is certainly concerning.

@JoannaB2 I believe you acknowledged that you gave incorrect information in this thread.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/re-turbotax-is-incorrectly-combi...

You claimed it was a typo. But you are giving the wrong information again. Please stop copy and pasting incorrect information.

Single people don't have a lower mortgage threshold. Single filers and married filing jointly is $750,000. It's married filing separately that have the $375,000 limit.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

We are aware of this experience. Please sign up for email notifications when an update related to this issue is available here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, I agree.  I updated my library after I received your email.  I might have 1 or 2 that but right now, it's been fixed.  I'm so sorry.  I couldn't remember which one's.  Can you forward those post so I could edit?  

Thank you very much.

Joanna B

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may claim mortgage interest deduction on a loan used to buy/build a home up to $750,000 for married filing joint ($375,000 for married filing separate). The home mortgage loan must be secured by the property to qualify for the deduction. The following are steps to enter deductible home mortgage interest:

1. Login to Turbo Tax.
  2. Under Federal Taxes, in Deduction and Credit tab, click "I'll choose what I work on".
  3. Under " Your 2020 Deduction and Credit", click update or start next to Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance.
  4. Under " Home Loan deduction summary" click edit  and enter the lender's information, one at a time.
  5. Click continue until you get to the screen " Is this loan secured by a property of yours?" 
  6. Click Done.
  7. The next screen is a question " Do any of the situation apply to you?". Your answer here will determine if your loan exceeded the allowed home mortgage loan amount.

See, why is my mortgage, and click go here for any issues encountered.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Users:  I've just learned of this TurboTax FAQ that gives you the opportunity to sign up for when this issue has been resolved.

Why is my home mortgage interest being limited? 

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

I totally agree with you.  You shouldn't have to double check their calculations.  A $450,000 loan refinanced for $449,000 should not appear as a $900,000 loan with limits!

Hi guys,

Just wanted to report that TT online has been updated. 

Its now asking principal balance pay off amounts and dates for loan acquisitions. This was my scenario, 2 1098's because of it.  Its finally calculating the average instead of adding them together.

I am in the process of finalizing. 

M

@angels2k 

I don't think this is correct.  When I went back in and looked at my numbers, they are still not correct and nothing has been amended.  Curious to see what others are saying / seeing.

I went back and deleted all my 1098s, and when I went to reenter,  I saw a link that reads: "Multiple 1098s related to a Refinance done in 2020."  It essentially tells you to input one 1098 to cover refinance.  

Nope. Still broken.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies