Bruce has to buy tools and work boots were do I claim it at

brucecookie

LindaA

If you are an employee and you purchased tools and boots to use at work, you may be able to deduct them as job-related expenses. You'll need to itemize deductions to claim your job-related expenses. The cost of these items won't be fully deductible as it will be subject to the 2% rule. (Please see the FAQs below for more information. Note that if you are self-employed you may deduct the cost of tools you use for work as business expenses.)

To enter your job-related tool expenses in TurboTax:

• Continue working on your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in, click Take me to my return, then click Pick up where I left off.)
  • Click My Account (top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type 2106.
  • In the results box, highlight 2106, then click GO.
  • You'll land on the page that says Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for. Enter your occupation and click Continue
  • Continue to answer the questions in this section. When asked, Did you buy or own any items for use on your job?, select Yes, I bought or owned items in 2016 that I used for my job, then click Continue.
  • Tell Us About the Item You Bought or Owned. Select Tools, Machinery, Equipment, Furniture, then click Continue. (Click the first screenshot below for reference.)
  • Continue through the interview. TurboTax will ask questions about the tools that you bought for your job.
  • Later in the interview, you'll reach the Job-Related Expenses screen, where you may enter the cost of your work boots. (Click the 2nd screenshot below for reference.) Enter the information and click Continue.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to complete this section of the interview. When you are finished, you'll reach the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen. (Click the 3rd screenshot below for reference.)

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function (instead of "My Account") to search for the topic.

What is the 2% rule? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4800344

Can employees deduct any job-related expenses? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300622