If you are an employee and you purchased tools and boots to use at work, you may be able to deduct them as job-related expenses. You'll need to itemize deductions to claim your job-related expenses. The cost of these items won't be fully deductible as it will be subject to the 2% rule. (Please see the FAQs below for more information. Note that if you are self-employed you may deduct the cost of tools you use for work as business expenses.)
To enter your job-related tool expenses in TurboTax:
- Continue working on your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in, click Take me to my return, then click Pick up where I left off.)
- Click My Account (top right of your screen).
- Select Tools.
- In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
- In the search bar, type 2106.
- In the results box, highlight 2106, then click GO.
- You'll land on the page that says Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for. Enter your occupation and click Continue.
- Continue to answer the questions in this section. When asked, Did you buy or own any items for use on your job?, select Yes, I bought or owned items in 2016 that I used for my job, then click Continue.
Tell Us About the Item You Bought or Owned. Select Tools, Machinery, Equipment, Furniture, then click Continue. (Click the first screenshot below for reference.)
- Continue through the interview. TurboTax will ask questions about the tools that you bought for your job.
- Later in the interview, you'll reach the Job-Related Expenses screen, where you may enter the cost of your work boots. (Click the 2nd screenshot below for reference.) Enter the information and click Continue.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete this section of the interview. When you are finished, you'll reach the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen. (Click the 3rd screenshot below for reference.)
Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function (instead of "My Account") to search for the topic.
What is the 2% rule? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4800344
Can employees deduct any job-related expenses? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300622