Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Beware: TurboTax has a major error.

Hi.  I cannot get Turbotax to recognize my itemized medical deductions.  and I am not alone.  A quick search came up with many recent posts; a few are listed below.  There are more.

How do you get someone at Turbotax to recognize that there is a software error and fix it? Calling customer service didn't get me to a person, just a BOT who texted me worthless information.

I have spent a lot of time entering my information into Turbotax, so I'm loathe to change software providers, but what else to do? If I stick with them, I will end up paying too much tax - and you might too.

Experts: please don't write back explaining the difference between itemized and standard.  We are eligible for the itemized deduction but TT is not recognizing my medical expenses, and therefore isn't adding them to my other deductions.

I'm writing today with the hope that someone at TT monitors these boards and will recognize that this is not a user error.  

Thank you for reading this post.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/how-do-i-get-past-medical-expe[p...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/can-you-help-me-with-medical-exp...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/why-does-my-medical-expenses-column-continue-to-s...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/my-medical-expenses-are-not-show...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-why-do-i-keep-get[product key removed]w-when-i...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/i-entered-all-my-very-few-medica...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/i-have-entered-all-my-medical-expenses-but-it-[pr...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/how-can-i-get-rid-of-the-needs-r...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

You will almost certainly have to provide more information about your return and, possibly, send your .tax file to an agent. Perhaps start by posting which version of TurboTax you are using.

On a test return (from Home & Business), I have noticed absolutely no anomalies with respect to the itemized medical deduction.

Untitled.png

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Can you clarify if your medical expenses exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income?  

Medical expenses are tax-deductible as an itemized expense, but to claim medical expenses, the unreimbursed medical care expenses must exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.  

We can look at your issue if you exceeded the 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.  It would be helpful to have a TurboTax token.  The token provides a sanitized version of your return.  We will be able to see the numbers but not any personal information such as your name, SSN, or address.  

If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

In TurboTax Online, go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen, and you will get a Token number. 

In TurboTax CD/Download versions, go to the black panel on your screen and select Online. 

1. Scroll down and select Send tax file to Agent. 
  2. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click send through this screen, and you will get a Token number. 

Reply to this thread with your Token number. 

We will then be able to see precisely what you are seeing, and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

@msellen 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@BrittanyS 

@BrittanyS  I have shared my token.  

and yes, my med expenses exceed 7.5% of my AGI.  But why does that matter? shouldn't the software show an amount REGARDLESS of whether or not I exceed 7.5%?  all of my other deductions are computed and displayed.  Only medical expenses are not appearing.

I'm dismayed and concerned that an Inuit employee is saying (basically) "the bug doesn't matter because  you aren't eligible for that deduction anyway."  You should be working to ensure that your software works, correctly, for all of your customers.  I am not completely done gathering/entering information.  What I am not eligible for today may change when I enter more information tomorrow.

You are correct, and I agree that Turbo Tax is not taking it seriously.

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

I have worked through TurboTax Desktop, as well as TurboTax Online.  I am able to add medical expenses and they are showing under the medical deduction tab after entry.  See screenshots below:

One area that may have been causing confusion is the MSA or HSA distributions account.  The medical worksheet for the return deducts the HSA from the total medical expenses entered.  So if your medical expenses are less than the HSA distributions the amount listed would show as zero.  See screenshot below.

If showing Zero

You can view these forms in TurboTax Desktop by following these steps:

1. Click Forms on the top right-hand corner of the screen
  2. Click Medical Wks
  3. Review the detailed worksheet for data entered into TurboTax

You can also view in TurboTax online once the itemized deductions have been met by following these steps:

1. Click Tax Tools on the left side panel
  2. Click Tools
  3. Click View Tax Summary
  4. Scroll up to the Preview my 1040 on the left-side panel

In TurboTax Online, this will give you a view of all forms that are prepared and will be submitted with your return.  This is why it is important for the itemized deduction qualifications to be met prior to viewing because the forms in TurboTax Online are a view of what is going to the IRS for submission.  If the itemized deductions are not met it will not show on TurboTax online review mode because the itemized deductions will not be submitted to the IRS.   

However, if your medical expenses entered is greater than the HSA distributions the difference should be listed under the medical deduction regardless of whether you itemize or not.  See screenshot below of how the calculation occurs:

If you enter all your medical expenses and are still having issues, please respond back to this thread.  

@msellen 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have NO HSA or MSA figures to enter, and still my MEDICAL EXPENSES NEEDS REVIEW.

NOTE!  There is a question about a "high deductible health plan" under the HSA, MSA section.  This does not apply to me, but there is no way to clear the response (NONE)--yet the correct response for those who "had HDHP coverage on December 1, 2021, but failed to be an eligible individual for other reasons" IS ALSO NONE.  That would seem to be the wrong response for one who HAD NO HDHP coverage.  Could that be the issue causing the hangup here?

IT'S FIXED!  Finally.  Still did not work last night, but all my numbers show up today--no more "medical expenses needs review."  Hoping it's the same for all the other users who experienced this supremely frustrating problem.

@msellen

@BrittanyS 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies