Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ericmdai

Being claimed as dependent with HSA contributions, stuck at 8889-T Form line 1

I was a student the first half of 2018 but started working in the latter half. My parents are claiming me as a dependent but my employer made contributions to an HSA for me. I have declared those contributions as excess and am withdrawing them from my HSA as a mistaken contribution (as advised here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4282864-how-do-i-avoid-getting-an-error-on-form-8889-t-line-1). Unfortunately, I am still getting an error on my 8889-T Form which asks me for my HDHP coverage even though I selected None earlier. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In this situation, TurboTax gets conflicting information (not your fault). You have to report "None" as your HDHP coverage, yet line 1 of form 8889 does not allow "None" as a coverage option (or else why are you filing 8889?).

In your case, please see the following:

In the Review, you may get new errors. If you do, this is how you address them:

1. If the Review asks you to check a box on Line 1 of form 8889, go ahead and check "Self" (It won't matter, but it will help get you clear of the Review).

2. If the Review asks you to check a box in the Line 3 Smart Worksheet of form 8889, go ahead and check "None" for A1 through A12 (i.e., each month).

2. If the Review asks you to check a box in the Line 18 Smart Worksheet of form 8889, go ahead and check "None" for B1 through B12 (i.e., each month).

This should clear the form 8889 errors and let you e-file.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

In this situation, TurboTax gets conflicting information (not your fault). You have to report "None" as your HDHP coverage, yet line 1 of form 8889 does not allow "None" as a coverage option (or else why are you filing 8889?).

In your case, please see the following:

In the Review, you may get new errors. If you do, this is how you address them:

1. If the Review asks you to check a box on Line 1 of form 8889, go ahead and check "Self" (It won't matter, but it will help get you clear of the Review).

2. If the Review asks you to check a box in the Line 3 Smart Worksheet of form 8889, go ahead and check "None" for A1 through A12 (i.e., each month).

2. If the Review asks you to check a box in the Line 18 Smart Worksheet of form 8889, go ahead and check "None" for B1 through B12 (i.e., each month).

This should clear the form 8889 errors and let you e-file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies