turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I sold my investment property with my appliances with it. How do I allocate the sales price to the appliances?

I'm assuming I would allocate $0 to both my asset sales price and expense incurring a loss on the sale?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MichaelDC

If I sold my investment property with my appliances with it. How do I allocate the sales price to the appliances?

The cost of the appliances included in the sale of an Investment Property would increase your total basis in the entire property (and reduce any gain from the sale). It will amount to the same effect in the end. Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section. 

To enter this sale, see the instructions below. Total basis is entered in Step 5.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5802407

as an example, if my cost for my refrigerator was $500 and it depreciated $100, then is my capital loss reported on form 4797 $400?
MichaelDC

It's much easier, and generates the same result all around, to report a sales price of zero to each depreciated asset and enter the entire sales proceeds to the rental property itself. This is what you may have been alluding to in your original question. I hope this is helpful. Let me know.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies