Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As a widow, does that affect the basis of the home I sold? If so does it benefit me? You used to be able to invest in your next primary residence, has that changed?

I did purchase another primary residence in 2016.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

As a widow, does that affect the basis of the home I sold? If so does it benefit me? You used to be able to invest in your next primary residence, has that changed?

Yes, it does affect your basis and yes, the rules have changed. 

1.   When the owner of a home dies, the tax basis of the property -- the amount from which gain or loss is determined upon sale -- is "stepped up" to the date of death value. When a married couple owns a home jointly, at least half of the basis is stepped up (in community property states, the entire basis is stepped up).

2.   You won’t pay taxes on the first $250,000 (also known as a gain) you make from the sale of your home. If you file jointly, you won’t pay taxes on the first $500,000. 

That income is free and clear as long as: 

• You owned the home
  • It was your main home for two years or more within the five years leading up to the sale
  • You waited at least two years between selling your primary home and excluding your first $250,000 or $500,000 from taxes. In other words, you may buy and sell as many primary homes as you'd like, but you'll only get this tax benefit every two years.  

TurboTax will show you if your home sale is taxable, but you’ll need to upgrade your account to TurboTax Premier. Ready to upgrade and enter your home sale info? Follow these steps:

Open (continue) your return in TurboTax. If you’re not sure you’re in your return, click the orange Take me to my return button. 

1. In the upper right corner, search for home sale and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  2. Answer Yes to "Did you sell or have your home foreclosed in 2016?" 
  3. You’ll be asked to upgrade to TurboTax Premier. Confirm your upgrade.  
  4. Follow the screens to enter your info.  

Related Information:

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

Yes, it does affect your basis and yes, the rules have changed. 

1.   When the owner of a home dies, the tax basis of the property -- the amount from which gain or loss is determined upon sale -- is "stepped up" to the date of death value. When a married couple owns a home jointly, at least half of the basis is stepped up (in community property states, the entire basis is stepped up).

2.   You won’t pay taxes on the first $250,000 (also known as a gain) you make from the sale of your home. If you file jointly, you won’t pay taxes on the first $500,000. 

That income is free and clear as long as: 

• You owned the home
  • It was your main home for two years or more within the five years leading up to the sale
  • You waited at least two years between selling your primary home and excluding your first $250,000 or $500,000 from taxes. In other words, you may buy and sell as many primary homes as you'd like, but you'll only get this tax benefit every two years.  

TurboTax will show you if your home sale is taxable, but you’ll need to upgrade your account to TurboTax Premier. Ready to upgrade and enter your home sale info? Follow these steps:

Open (continue) your return in TurboTax. If you’re not sure you’re in your return, click the orange Take me to my return button. 

1. In the upper right corner, search for home sale and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  2. Answer Yes to "Did you sell or have your home foreclosed in 2016?" 
  3. You’ll be asked to upgrade to TurboTax Premier. Confirm your upgrade.  
  4. Follow the screens to enter your info.  

Related Information:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies