Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mullo2ka

Are we allowed to claim a national disaster for COVID 19 in our 2020 taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

The COVID-19 pandemic is a “federally declared disaster,” as defined by section 165(i)(5)(A) of the Code.

Section 139(c)(2) of the Code provides that for purposes of section 139 of the Code, the term “qualified disaster” includes a federally declared disaster, as defined by 165(i)(5)(A) of the Code.  The COVID-19 pandemic is a “federally declared disaster,” as defined by section 165(i)(5)(A) of the Code.  On March 13, 2020, the President of the United States issued a Proclamation declaring a national emergency concerning the Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) outbreak, stating that the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic warrants an emergency determination under section 501(b) of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. 5121 – 5207.  A “qualified disaster relief payment” is defined by section 139(b) of the Code to include any amount paid to or for the benefit of an individual to reimburse or pay reasonable and necessary personal, family, living, or funeral expenses incurred as a result of a qualified disaster.  Qualified disaster relief payments do not include income replacements such as sick leave or other paid time off paid by an employer.

benjaminr
Returning Member

I received a COVID "qualified disaster relief payment" from a local not-for-profit. It is my understanding that this is non-taxable, but I did receive a 1099-MISC. How do I report this so I am not taxed?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies