Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I suppose to list a general description for the expense or am I suppose to use the exact item name for the expense? I have receipts for everything.

I am an entertainer. I have receipts for every single business expense I have. I don't understand how I am suppose to list my expenses. Do I make a general category and add all of those items in that category up or do I list the specific name of each item and the cost individually? Does it matter?

Example:
Costumes $100

Or

Medieval Corset $100
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Am I suppose to list a general description for the expense or am I suppose to use the exact item name for the expense? I have receipts for everything.

You can group them, for example “supplies”. 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

First, use the expense categories in the program.  For items that don't fit in one of those categories, use general categories, but not too general.  In your example, Costumes would be sufficient.   I would not list and give a description of each costume.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies