Kevin0000

Am I qualified to contribute $7300 to my HSA account while my wife is Canadian and she works in Canada during 2022?

Hi, I'm working in USA and my wife is working in Canada during 2022. I'm a U.S. Citizen, my wife is a Canadian Citizen. I enroll in HDHP medical plan, the coverage is Employee + Spouse. Can I contribute $7300 to the HSA account for year 2022?

Mike9241

Canadians are covered by provincial healthcare, which is not considered a HDHP.

does her coverage cover you? 

if yes, your contribution limit is $0 because you are covered by a non-HDHP

if no, you can contribute the family maximum. 

Mike9241

does her coverage cover you? 

It is not required that your spouse be enrolled on your insurance or that your spouse also have an HDHP.  It is only required that you not have any "other medical coverage" except for your HDHP.  So it depends on whether you have any coverage through your spouse.