Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I allowed to claim gas and mileage since I work almost 2 hours away from home?

I keep getting mixed answers.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Am I allowed to claim gas and mileage since I work almost 2 hours away from home?

Commuting to and from work is not deductible.    You cannot claim mileage for your commute to work.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You can never deduct commuting to your usual work place, either for employees or self-employed. 

Under the tax reform law of 2017, W-2 employees can't deduct work-related expenses even if they are not commuting.

Self-employed workers may be able to deduct travel expenses when they travel away from their usual work location for a temporary assignment.  Those rules are shown in chapter 4 of publication 463. 

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-463

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

No.  Commuting expenses are not deductible, neither are miles driven as an employee regardless of how far you drive or if you drive to different places using your own vehicle during the day. Employee job expenses are not federally deductible.   

If you are self-employed and driving to various jobs, then this would be considered business miles and would be a deductible expense. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies