Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

A foreign resident married to a NRA, with no SSN. Neither of us live in the US, yet on my tax return, TT has automatically input his state as MA. How can I change this?

I'm a foreign resident married to a non-resident alien with no SSN. We are both living outside of the US. I'm able to change my state of residence to "Foreign", however for some reason Turbo Tax is automatically changing my spouse's state of residence to MA. I can't seem to find where to change his state to Foreign. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

A foreign resident married to a NRA, with no SSN. Neither of us live in the US, yet on my tax return, TT has automatically input his state as MA. How can I change this?

If your NRA spouse does not have an SSN, then you will need to file as married filing separately and would not include any information about your NRA spouse on either your US or MA nonresident state income tax returns other than their name.

The only place to change state of residency is under the federal information section or in the MA section for nonresidents MA state income tax return filings.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies