turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

3rd Baby / Pay Raise - Child Tax Credit

Hi - we just had our third child in March 2021. I also received a pay raise in July 2021. I was out on Maternity Leave from March through May 2021. Right now we are receiving $600 a month for our 4 year old twins. We are filed as married/jointly. Our AGI is under $100k from 2020. 

If I'm understanding correctly, are we going to receive 3rd baby's full credit ($3600) and half of the twin's credit ($3600) in March 2022 (based on 2021 taxes). 

We usually receive a refund usually around $3-4k. Are we okay with the maternity leave, the 3rd baby addition, and pay raise in our refund? Is it possible we still receive a substantial refund, as long as everything else stays the same? 

Thanks in advance! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Hi educateme123,

Congratulations on your new addition! 

While I don't know the amount of your pay raise or exactly how much financial impact the maternity leave had, I can point out some general concepts that may help you answer your own question.

Last year you received a refund of $3-4k. Last year the CTC was $2000 per child so you would have received $4000 for the twins. 

This year, the CTC you will receive is $7200 - as you calculated correctly. $3600 for the child born in 2021 and $1800 each for the non-advanced half of each of the twins' CTC.  So for starters you have an additional $3200 in CTC that you didn't get last year. 

So, if everything else stayed exactly the same from last year you would have a $6000-$7000 refund ($3-4k plus $3200). 

Only you can assess the impact of the pay raise vs. maternity leave, but since you received a fairly healthy refund last year I can presume you generally have adequate withholding from your jobs. As long as that continues to be the case I see no reason you could not expect another solid refund this year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Hi educateme123,

Congratulations on your new addition! 

While I don't know the amount of your pay raise or exactly how much financial impact the maternity leave had, I can point out some general concepts that may help you answer your own question.

Last year you received a refund of $3-4k. Last year the CTC was $2000 per child so you would have received $4000 for the twins. 

This year, the CTC you will receive is $7200 - as you calculated correctly. $3600 for the child born in 2021 and $1800 each for the non-advanced half of each of the twins' CTC.  So for starters you have an additional $3200 in CTC that you didn't get last year. 

So, if everything else stayed exactly the same from last year you would have a $6000-$7000 refund ($3-4k plus $3200). 

Only you can assess the impact of the pay raise vs. maternity leave, but since you received a fairly healthy refund last year I can presume you generally have adequate withholding from your jobs. As long as that continues to be the case I see no reason you could not expect another solid refund this year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies