turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-B -- Do you 'have' to file?

First question: I have capital loss carry-over from 2020 and my 2021 1099-B are also losses, I did not have any capital gains, although I did buy/sell option contracts during 2021. Do I need to or have to file my 2021 1099-Bs to show my losses? I have two 1099-B for two different brokerage firms that I use and after entering one of the 2021 1099, it did not change anything in my return. I'm assuming it's because I am already carrying over losses from 2020. Since it doesn't affect my income (making more money), I assume that you don't really have to file the 2021 1099-Bs? 

Second question: If, I don't need to file the 2021 1099-Bs can I file them at a later year? 

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Regardless of whether you had a gain, loss, or broke even, you must report these transactions on your tax return.  You have to file the 1099-Bs and no, you can't file them in a later year.   Your 2021 1099-Bs should be reported on your 2021 tax return and no other.   If you file and don't include them, you'll get an inquiry with a request to file an amended 2021 tax return with the 1099-B information.  

You want to enter those so your carryover numbers are correct.  There is information reported there you will most likely need when preparing future tax forms when you exercise or dispose of them.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Regardless of whether you had a gain, loss, or broke even, you must report these transactions on your tax return.  You have to file the 1099-Bs and no, you can't file them in a later year.   Your 2021 1099-Bs should be reported on your 2021 tax return and no other.   If you file and don't include them, you'll get an inquiry with a request to file an amended 2021 tax return with the 1099-B information.  

You want to enter those so your carryover numbers are correct.  There is information reported there you will most likely need when preparing future tax forms when you exercise or dispose of them.  

For some reason, as part of my  financial advisor's year end report, included with the 1099-R, 1099-INT, and 1099-DIV, he included with the summery, two other sections - 1099-MISC and the 1099-B.

There are no entries for the 1099-MISC and nothing in the 1099-B. All zeros.

Does this mean I have to report in Turbo Tax the 1099-MISC and 1099-B, with "zeros"? Why provide the two forms, and now that I have them, do I need to report them in TT?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

No, you don't need to include the Forms 1099-MISC and 1099-B in your return if there are only $0 amounts reported on the forms. @LB641

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies