turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amlumnah

Can I claim a vehicle excise tax on my Massachusetts state return? If so, where do I enter it?

I'm not seeing an area to enter this in my MA state return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
GeoffreyG

Can I claim a vehicle excise tax on my Massachusetts state return? If so, where do I enter it?

You won't see a special place to enter the vehicle excise tax deduction on your Massachusetts state return, either in the TurboTax software or elsewhere, because it simply does not exist.  The vehicle excise tax deduction is a federal item, and is specifically reported to the IRS on Form 1040, Schedule A, Line 7 (please see the attached image at the bottom of this answer for a visual reference).

Your Massachusetts tax return already incorporates the federal Schedule A amounts into its calculations automatically, as the tax return begins -- so if you attempted to enter the state vehicle excess tax a second time (by mistake), you would effectively be getting a double-deduction for the same item, on your state taxes, since the deduction is already included (by default) in your Massachusetts return.

That's the short answer to your question.  For a more detailed discussion of this topic, you may wish to continue reading.

The amount eligible for the vehicle registration fee deduction, for Massachusetts registered vehicles, is simply the excise tax itself, not the whole amount of the cost of registration.

The legal reasoning is as follows.  The IRS only allows that portion of a state registration fee that is based on the value of the vehicle to be included toward your other itemized deductions.  Any flat fee portion doesn't count.  This is why there are some 20+ states whose residents can potentially benefit from the deduction (including MA), but the remainder cannot:  their states do not charge vehicle registration fees by value, and instead charge flat fees only.

You can read more about the MA excise tax and how it is calculated here, if you are curious:

http://www.mass.gov/dor/local-officials/municipal-finance-law/frequently-asked-questions-motor-vehic...

Now then, it is also important to keep in mind that you (or anyone claiming this deduction) may or may not actually see any net tax benefit from including this item on your tax return.  The reason for this is that you must have enough itemized deductions (in total) to exceed the standard deduction available to all taxpayers.  Since more than 2 in 3 taxpayers do not, most people end up taking the (more valuable) standard deduction, rather than itemizing deductions.  If you input all your data carefully, including the MA vehicle excise tax, however, the TurboTax software will make that determination for you.

Thank you for asking your question, and hopefully you will find this information helpful.

luckapani

This answer overall is helpful.  However, the question that I have is not about federal taxes. The question is just about the MA taxes. So my follow up question is: are registration costs and inspection fees (not the excise tax which is based on value) deductible on the MA state tax forms (I'm not asking about Federal tax forms because I know that Fed only allows the excise tax because it is based on valuation)?

that link for mass.gov no longer works. it says I am forbidden to enter?? 

this is what the link says when I click on it: 

OH NO
This page is forbidden Sorry, you don't have access to this page.

Search terms

SEARCH 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies