turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

schuchm

DoD Civilian overseas all year. Address is FPO AE, but TT wont let me file my State return bc it wants me to file as a non-resident how do i bypass

If your military Active or Reserves, this error may be bypassed by making sure you select a Sate of residence in in your personal info section and NOT foreign or overseas. If you are a Civilian (DoD/Dept. State) living overseas this may not change the fact that you cannot e-file the return. For some it keeps cycling back to ...we found some information that is incorrect.... and taking you back to ask you to change to a non-resident filing status.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AndyM

DoD Civilian overseas all year. Address is FPO AE, but TT wont let me file my State return bc it wants me to file as a non-resident how do i bypass

Which state(s) are you filing?
schuchm

Indiana
AndyM

You will have to file as a resident of Indiana even though you are living overseas.

If you are a U. S. citizen working for the US Government, including the Foreign Service, and you are stationed abroad, your income tax filing requirements are generally the same as those for citizens and residents living in the United States. You are taxed on your worldwide income, even though you live and work abroad. However, you may receive certain allowances and have certain expenses that you generally do not have while living in the United States.

Reference: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/us-government-civilian-employees-stationed-a...

schuchm

This answer does NOT answer my question. I know I have to file full year resident but it won't e-file unless I change it to non resident bc it's seeing an address that's not in Indiana.  I don't own or rent any property in Indiana and my official mailing address is FPO AE (Armed forces Europe). I'm not authorized to use my last known address according to the State. My state of residency in my personal info says Indiana.  When I go to efile State it keeps going back to the same thing... we found information that is incorrect...and takes me to the State tax return screen to change my filing status to non resident, I confirm it says full year resident, and click on transmit return thenit again takes me back to... we found information that is incorrect.
AndyM

We were unable to recreate your issue. Please contact a software support agent at the following link: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/">https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/</a>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies