turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hunter_wy

I live in Wyoming which has no state income tax. If I work for company in Colorado and pay CO state income tax, will I get any of that back on tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live in Wyoming which has no state income tax. If I work for company in Colorado and pay CO state income tax, will I get any of that back on tax return?

You should be filing a Colorado non-resident tax return.  If your total state tax payments to Colorado are greater than your total tax liability on the Colorado state tax return, only then would you receive a state tax refund.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You should be filing a Colorado non-resident tax return.  If your total state tax payments to Colorado are greater than your total tax liability on the Colorado state tax return, only then would you receive a state tax refund.

**bleep** colorado

**bleep** tier state

Hal_Al
Level 15

The general rule is: your report all your income on your home state return, even the income earned out of state. You file a non-resident state return for the state you worked in and pay tax to that state. Your home state will give you a credit, or partial credit, for what you paid the non-resident state. 

Since WY does not have an income tax, you do not have a resident return to file. But you still have to file a state return and pay tax on that income to the work state (CO). This is how it works (in most cases): You file a nonresident return for the state you worked in, paying tax on only the income you earned there.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies